Friday, December 13, 2013

Can't believe I'm saying this...but we are here!

Exactly a year ago I was staring at a screenshot I had captured on my phone of a little girl in China who needed a family.  Her happy eyes captured my heart.  I had no business wanting her because we had not even turned in our application to an adoption agency.  But my heart ached for her.  I tried to convince myself that it was impossible, crazy, and unthinkable to think that she should be ours, but deep down, I wanted that child so, so badly, and I had no explanation why this desire was so intense.

But I know now.

Fast-forward 365 days and we are sitting in a hotel in Beijing, China.  This city is amazing.  As Dan put it, "Beijing is LA on steroids."  It's so true.  There are 23 million people living in this city.  As far as the eye can see are high rise apartments stuffed to the gills with people.  The streets are crowded...the roads clogged.  But Beijing is a an extremely modern city.  From our hotel in downtown Beijing, I see stores for Louis Vuitton, Coach, Prada, and other high end designer fashions.  On the corner is a 5 story shopping mall with all the brands and stores you would recognize in the US, including McDonalds and KFC, Apple, and much to my dismay, a three story Forever 21 (gag).  Our hotel is very nice, and we are eating well, let me assure you.  The weather is clear and COLD...not by North Dakota standards but definitely by Central CA standards (highs in the 30's).

Yesterday we visited the Great Wall of China.  It was quite the spectacle.  I thought it would be easy to walk to the top of the mountain up the Wall's gigantic steps, only to find out that I'm in serious need of more exercise.  I made it half way while Dan dashed to the top (no shock there).  But the view was amazing and the history is fascinating!





We stopped at a restaurant with our tour group (other Holt International families), and then toured a jade museum and shop.  Let me assure you that real jade is FAR beyond our price scale, so we did not  help the local economy there, but it was interesting to see.

Today we visit the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square.  That should be fascinating.  The history of this country is quite rich, I assure you.

Tomorrow we leave for the Henan Province, which is where our daughter lives in Zhengzhou City.  Then on Monday (Sunday your time), our adoption day will happen and we will take custody of Ai Lan!  Words cannot possibly explain our emotions about this.  They are all over the board, but most importantly, we are feeling so, so grateful for the opportunity to parent this beautiful child!  It will be late afternoon or early evening on Sunday your time when we meet her.  Pray for us!

To our kids, David, Emily, Josie, and Isaac...we love you SO MUCH!  We do miss you already and we cannot wait for all our FaceTime dates!  We will be home before you know it, and please be nice to those who are caring for you!  I know you will make us proud!


1 comment:

  1. I hope everything is going good with you guys!! I have been praying for you. Can't wait to see Ai Lan in your arms!

    April (BiLiang's mommy)

    ReplyDelete